Shrimp & Grits has definitely become one of my favorite meals. I find myself looking for it every time I visit a seafood restaurant, hoping that it tastes just as yummy as the last place. So far only there are two restaurants here in Atlanta, Georgia that make really yummy shrimp & grits to my liking. If you’re local, try them out: Gumbeaux’s Cajun Cafe and
Scales 925. But since it’s not always easy to get to these places when you’re really hungry, here’s an awesome recipe!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 andouille sausage (I use Johnsonville Andouille)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (I use Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning)
- 2 1/4 cups of water, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup uncooked quick grits (I use Jim Dandy)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Slice andouille sausage into circles the short way.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage and sauté 2 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Add onion; sauté 2 minutes.
- Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Add shrimp to pan, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, and cook 3 minutes, turning once.
- Add 1/4 cup water, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Remove mixture from heat; add butter, stirring to melt.
- Cover and keep warm.
- For the grits, bring milk, salt, and 2 cups water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat.
- Gradually add grits, and cook until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Remove grits from heat; add cheese, stirring with a whisk until cheese melts.
- Spoon grits evenly onto 6 plates.
- Top evenly with shrimp, andouille mixture, and sprinkle with green onions.